I’ve been conducting a lot of Financial Model Assessments lately (where I analyze how a nonprofit raises money and show them how to do it more effectively) and, not surprisingly, the board of directors often comes up as an impediment to greater financial sustainability.
There are so many reasons why a nonprofit’s board is not helping to bring money in the door. Often board members:
- Don’t know who or how to ask for money
- Can’t articulate why someone should give to their nonprofit
- Are unable to figure out where they can be most helpful
- Don’t understand how money works in the sector
- Can’t connect their individual actions to the larger financial engine of the organization
…and the list goes on.
But instead of pleading with, chastising, or complaining about your board, you need to take a big step back and get strategic.
By figuring out your nonprofit’s long-term goals, determining who you need on your board to get you there, tapping into their unique strengths, and creating a system for involving each one in the financial engine, you can transform your board into a money-raising machine.
They can become a board that no longer drags their feet about fundraising, but rather acts as a team to fully finance the nonprofit in which they believe so strongly.
The newest Social Velocity webinar, How to Build a Fundraising Board will show you how to get there.
How to Build a Fundraising Board Webinar
This webinar will help you:
- Analyze what kinds of board members you need
- Create a system for getting each individual member involved
- Give them clear money raising responsibilities
- Create a message they are excited about delivering
- Give them many options for bringing money in the door
- Get them excited and engaged in the future of the organization
And remember, all Social Velocity webinars are available On-Demand.
Photo Credit: Dennis Skley
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
- Download a free Financing
Not Fundraising e-book
when you sign up for email
updates from Social Velocity.
Sign Up Here
- Tired of begging your
board to raise money?
Learn how to
Build a Fundraising Board
in this month's
Social Velocity webinar.