ACE: A Community for Education Case Study
“Our work with Social Velocity has been critical to developing a viable growth strategy and plan for ACE. The process helped us clarify our core competencies, engage stakeholders, and articulate exactly how and why ACE should grow. As a result of Social Velocity’s strategic planning and follow-up coaching, my staff and I, and our advisory board, have the tools and confidence to reach our larger vision for ACE. This was one of the best investments we have made in ACE!”
– Mary Ellen Isaacs, Executive Director of ACE: A Community for Education
ACE: A Community for Education, an early childhood literacy-tutoring program, had a proven model that was really working to get children to grade level in reading by 3rd grade. The outcomes of the program were so impressive that they wanted to expand it to many more schools that had children in need. However, the program was a well-kept secret. A small advisory board and limited external connections left the organization struggling to build the kind of community, funder, and school district support they need to dramatically grow.
ACE hired Social Velocity to create a 3-year strategic plan for growth. ACE assembled a working group of staff, advisory board members, funders and other key stakeholders, and Nell Edgington led them through a 5-month process analyzing the internal and external environment, creating the goals and objectives of the strategic plan for growth, determining the projected budget required to get there, and creating a detailed annual operational plan to bring the plan to fruition.
Once the strategic plan was created and adopted by the advisory board and other stakeholders, ACE hired Nell to coach their staff on:
- Restructuring the advisory board to lend more strategic support and expand community connections to the organization
- Expanding fundraising efforts in order to support the new goals of the strategic plan
- Growing the staff and program infrastructure to implement the plan
What Social Velocity Delivered:
- A 3-year strategic plan with goals, objectives, budget and detailed operational plan
- Monthly phone and in-person coaching to the Executive Director and Development Director on:
- Restructuring the advisory board
- Creating a major donor fundraising campaign
- Implementing the strategic plan
- Using the strategic plan to filter future decisions
- Effectively using staff resources
ACE has moved quickly to grow their program. They plan to triple the number of students served by the program by 2016. They have already secured a significantly increased financial commitment from participating school districts to do so. ACE has also completely restructured their advisory board and expanded its membership. They have hired new staff positions to make growth a reality. They have begun involving the advisory board in their new major donor campaign efforts and have already enjoyed new and renewed interest from funders. Staff and advisory board are energized and focused on their plans for growth.
If you want to talk with Nell about whether a consulting engagement might be right for your nonprofit, fill out this form. We’ll get back to you within 24 hours to schedule a time to talk.