UT School of Law Case Study
“Working with Social Velocity has breathed new life into our annual fund.
We have new energy, ideas, tools, messaging and processes that are achieving great financial results.”
-Carla Cooper, Assistant Dean for Development and Alumni Relations, UT School of Law
The UT School of Law realized that the amount of money they raised through their annual fund (smaller, recurring donations) was flattening. At the same time the participation rate of their alumni was well below average for their counterpart schools. They knew they needed to make dramatic changes in order to get their alumni more invested in the school.
UT School of Law hired Social Velocity to create a comprehensive plan to increase the dollars received and alumni participation rates in the annual fund. The plan included new messaging based on the impact of the School, a comprehensive marketing campaign highlighting alumni donors, new methods for communicating with alumni like Facebook and other social media vehicles, revamped website, upgraded database functionality that allows the School to better track and analyze donor behavior, and new giving levels that ensure that all donors are effectively stewarded and renewed.
What Social Velocity Delivered:
- Comprehensive plan for increasing annual fund dollars and alumni participation rates including activities, deliverables, people responsible, timeline
- On-going counsel on implementing the plan, including:
- Integrating impact messaging into appeals and other communications
- Reviewing solicitation letters and emails
- Ideas for segmenting donors
- Creating a renewal process for donors
- Suggestions for adding lapsed and additional gift campaigns to the mix
- Strengthening the involvement of the board in fundraising
- Creating/refining messaging for the overall marketing campaign
- Suggestions on use of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, etc)
Despite ending their 2009 fiscal year in the midst of a deep recession, the UT School of Law annual fund outperformed other University annual fund programs by 18%, a first-ever occurrence.
If you want to talk with Nell about whether a consulting engagement might be right for your nonprofit, fill out this form. We’ll get back to you within 24 hours to schedule a time to talk.