finding money for nonprofits
I’m delighted to announce that we’ve just released a new e-book called The Power of Capacity Capital.
Capacity Capital is a fairly new concept in the nonprofit world that has the power to completely transform the sector by releasing it from the “starvation cycle” and making nonprofits more effective and sustainable at creating social change. “Capacity capital” (or “philanthropic equity”) is just a fancy term for the money so many nonprofit organizations desperately need. And it’s a topic I’ve written about many times on the blog.
Capacity capital is a one-time infusion of significant money that can be used to strengthen or grow a nonprofit organization. It can be money that grows a successful program to other clients, other cities, other regions. Or it can be money that strengthens the organization and makes it more sustainable.
Capacity capital is NOT the day-to-day operating money nonprofits are used to raising and employing. Rather, capacity capital is money to build a stronger, more sustainable organization. It’s a one-time infusion of significant money to fundamentally and positively change the functioning of the organization.
But because this is such a new concept for the nonprofit sector, it can sometimes be difficult for boards and staffs to envision how this new kind of money could be used. Here are some examples to get you thinking:
- To plan and execute a program evaluation
- To plan and launch an earned income stream
- To create a strategic financing plan
- To hire a seasoned Development Director
- To purchase a new donor database
- To improve program service delivery
- To upgrade website, email marketing, and/or social media efforts
This The Power of Capacity Capital explains what capacity capital is, what it can be used for, how to convince funders of its importance, and how to raise it. It includes the following sections:
- Overcoming the Bias Against Nonprofit Organization Building
- What is Capacity Capital?
- Uses of Capacity Capital
- Convincing Funders To Provide Capacity Capital
- The Steps to Raising Capacity Capital
- A Case Study in Raising Capacity Capital
- Getting Started
If you want to learn more about the enormous opportunity capacity capital holds for your nonprofit, download the book.
- Download a free Financing
Not Fundraising e-book
when you sign up for email
updates from Social Velocity.
Sign Up Here
- Tired of begging your
board to raise money?
Learn how to
Build a Fundraising Board
in this month's
Social Velocity webinar.