E-book: The Ten Traits of a Groundbreaking Board
“I found the Ten Traits of a Groundbreaking Board to be very useful. The concepts are … packaged in a manner that a Board Member can gain insight and inspiration from without feeling discouraged about their past participation.”
– an E-book Reader
Again and again, I’ve heard people say that innovation will never become part of the nonprofit sector — that nonprofits are too set in their ways. Or that the sector is too broken to emerge anew. And a particular area of dysfunction that people point to is the volunteer group that leads the nonprofit sector: theboard of directors.
But that attitude is unacceptable. There is great danger in dismissing the sector and the board.
Sure, boards tend to be inefficient, dysfunctional and broken. Yet there is tremendous potential for innovation. Indeed, without innovation, the broader movement to solve social problems is doomed.
A groundbreaking board can lead the reinvention of the nonprofit sector. A groundbreaking board demands more from itself, its nonprofit and the sector as a whole. It leads the nonprofit it serves to greater financial sustainability, more effective use of resources, and ultimately more social change. Through its excellence, a groundbreaking board can transform the nonprofit they serve, the community the nonprofit impacts, and ultimately the sector itself.
This 28-page e-book examines the 10 traits that define a groundbreaking board. Each of the 10 chapters of this book describe in detail how a groundbreaking board operates:
- Defines Itself. The board as a whole decides what it should do and how.
- Assembles the Right People. A groundbreaking board doesn’t leave recruitment up to chance or circumstance.
- Drives Strategy. A groundbreaking board leaves the day-to-day operations of their nonprofit to the staff and instead grapples with the big picture, strategic, visionary questions of the organization.
- Ensures Mission, Money & Competence Alignment. A groundbreaking board ensures that the nonprofit they serve is positioned for greatest success.
- Craves Impact. A groundbreaking board shows up because they care deeply about the change their nonprofit is making in the world.
- Raises Money. A groundbreaking board understands that every single board member must be responsible for helping to bring money in the door.
- Wields the Money Sword. The groundbreaking board continually analyzes the financial model of the organization and monitors the ability of that model to deliver on mission.
- Pursues Excellence. The groundbreaking board never rests on its laurels, but constantly strives to improve itself and the nonprofit it serves.
- Builds the Organization. A groundbreaking board never stands in the way of organization building, in fact they are their nonprofit’s biggest advocates for that critical support.
- Asks Hard Questions. A groundbreaking board understands the harsh realities of the nonprofit sector and is honest and transparent about the state of their nonprofit.
Upon purchase, you will be emailed a link to download the PDF of this e-book.
If you purchase 10 or more e-books (to share with your board, staff, or others) you will receive a 10% volume discount.